Migrant crossings at the southwest U.S. border in March fell to 7,180, marking the lowest number on record, the White House said Tuesday, hailing the milestone as a sign of the success of President Donald Trump’s immigration policies.
In a statement, the U.S. Border Patrol said the figure marks “the lowest number of border crossings in history.”
Crossings had already declined in February, when 8,347 were recorded, compared to 29,101 in January—the month in which the transition from former President Joe Biden’s administration to the Trump administration took place.
The reduction is even more dramatic when compared to March 2024, when 137,480 crossings were recorded. The high number of apprehensions at the border forced the Biden administration to restrict access to political asylum, rules that remain in effect.
Daily apprehensions on the southwest border have also decreased, with around 230 per day, an unprecedented figure, immigration authorities emphasized.
In this regard, U.S. border czar Tom Homan emphasized that in his more than 40 years with the Border Patrol, he cannot recall a single month with such low numbers.
For his part, Pete Flores, acting commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), said that thanks to the policies implemented by the Trump Administration, Border Patrol agents have more power than ever to stop the illegal entry of immigrants.
“The message is clear: the border is closed to illegal crossings, and those still willing to test our resolve, know this: you will be prosecuted and deported,” he emphasized.
As part of border control initiatives, CBP signed new contracts in March to continue construction of the border wall, one of Trump’s campaign promises during his first election.

Source: lopezdoriga